Everybody worries about possibly not giving their skin enough for it to stay healthy and vibrant now and throughout the years to come. Aging skin is most especially susceptible to damage and, well, prominent fine lines, wrinkles, age spots and what not, that have not been there before. A good anti-aging skincare regimen can spell the difference between skin that is aging gracefully and one that appears to be prematurely aging.
The Skincare Routine For Aging Skin
Before you even contemplate on an anti wrinkle regimen that would perfectly match your skin type, skin needs, and how your skin is aging, you have to understand why and how skin aging happens. Here are several fast facts about aging skin you have to know:
- Skin aging is a manifestation of a general slow down in cellular level activity. That means, there’s less energy in your cells and it takes longer for damaged skin to become renewed.
- Sun damage is a major contributor to aging skin. UVA and UVB rays reach both superficial and deeper layers of your skin where it damages your skin cells, a lot of times the damage is permanent and irreversible.
- Poor skincare habits and harsh products can speed up the skin aging process.
- Aging skin is thinner and more vulnerable to damage.
- Skin needs the change in every decade. Therefore, skincare routine must be adjusted to match your skin realities at every decade of your life.
Listed below is an anti-aging skin care regime suited for mature skin:
1. Keep your skin protected
Sun protection by using sunscreen should be a top priority. Never leave your home without it. Antioxidants that can be infused from your sunscreen to your cosmetics and overnight cream should also be favored to help your skin fight environmental damage. Other than these, do more practical things to help shield your skin from the sun and other environmental factors that can lead to damaged and aged skin. That includes staying out of the sun when there is absolutely no need to bask under its harmful UV.
This step should not only be taken to help your mature skin get rid of wrinkles but, it should be done at regular intervals. By exfoliating, you are helping your skin retain or restore its capability to rapidly regenerate and renew your skin. It should, therefore, be a key component of any anti-aging routine.
3. Keep your face clean and clear
However, you don’t have to overdo it. People with normal to dry skin types should cleanse and tone up to twice daily only to refrain from drying out the skin. Mature skin with oily skin types may repeat the routine for up to three times daily to prevent oils, impurities, and bacteria from building up. Make sure you are using only cleansing and toning products that are mild for your skin.
4. Help your skin stay moisturized
Aging skin functions become more and more severely compromised over time. One of the key mechanisms that suffer is your skin’s growing inability to capture and store water as effectively as it used to. That’s why a moisturizer is essential. Apply your serums and moisturizers day and night, and whenever you can, at different times throughout the day as well.
Another practical way to help your skin stay hydrated is to refrain from exposing yourself to polluted environments. Whenever you can, stay indoors where you have better control over the room temperature and moisture levels.
Aging skin requires to be on an anti-aging skincare routine. To help address the growing inefficiency of your skin cells to regenerate and turnover, your skin needs all the help, it can get from top rated wrinkle creams like Skinmedica Dermal Repair Cream, Solvaderm Stemuderm, Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. Key ingredients to look for include the following:
- Peptides. Broadly classified into two types, pentapeptides function by stimulating faster rates of collagen production while also producing higher volumes, whereas neuropeptides act on the nerves underneath your skin, causing the superficial layer to expand and stretch out. Peptides are small chains of amino acids that help facilitate better coordination among your skin cells.
- Plant stem cells. One of the most recent breakthroughs in topical skin care are the addition of plant stem cells. These components have been demonstrated and proven to narrow and resurface deep-seated wrinkles. In general, plant stem cells provide nourishment for your skin cells which allow for faster skin regeneration to happen.
- Ceramides. Anti-aging care for skin 40 years and older must include components that help restructure and rebuild the skin’s protective barrier function. Ceramides are a special class of ingredients that help you achieve that.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This ingredient acts as a moisture magnet, drawing in moisture from the atmosphere and from surrounding tissues to rest on your skin. As aging skin is characteristically dry and dehydrated, HA helps keep moisture levels up longer.
- Plant Oils and Skin Conditioners. These ingredients make the skin surface slippery. More importantly, these leave a thin film on the skin surface which prevents water from escaping through the skin.
Ingredients like Vitamin A and its derivatives such as retinol help facilitate faster skin renewal by sloughing off dead skin cells on the surface and facilitating new skin to surface in its place. Creams that are formulated with alpha and polyhydroxy acids also help improve skin renewal by regularly ridding the skin of dead cells and sloughing of the damage.
Then, there are clinical procedures that help facilitate even faster processes that help reveal your newer, more flawless skin sooner. Laser, radio frequency therapy, microdermabrasion, Intense Pulsed Light therapy, are just some of the services you can take advantage of as part of your anti-aging routine
Is there really such a thing as anti-aging? Maybe, but, until that mechanism has been found and established, prevention, correction, and rejuvenation will remain to be the top priorities for aging skin. Desiring youthful skin is only the first step acknowledging the need for you to move to the next phase of painstakingly doing what it takes to keep your skin young, vibrant and good looking.